Mid-West GIS has been selected by the Town of Queensbury to undertake a comprehensive traffic sign inventory project, marking a significant step towards enhancing traffic safety and efficiency within the community. The initiative, scheduled for completion in March 2024, will involve meticulous data collection and analysis of all traffic signage across the town’s 189-mile network of maintained roads.
This comprehensive inventory will provide Queensbury with invaluable data on the condition, location, and type of every traffic sign within the town. This information will be instrumental in streamlining our infrastructure management, optimizing traffic flow, and ensuring the safety of our residents and visitors.”
The project will encompass the following key components:
- GPS-enabled data collection: Every traffic sign on town-maintained roads will be precisely geo-located using advanced GPS technology.
- Detailed attribute recording: Beyond location, over 20 specific attributes of each sign and its post will be recorded, including size, type, material, condition, and visibility.
- Digital mapping and analysis: The collected data will be integrated into a comprehensive digital map, enabling visual representation and spatial analysis of the town’s entire traffic signage system.
The benefits of this project are multifaceted:
- Enhanced traffic safety: Accurate and up-to-date data on traffic signage will allow for the swift identification and rectification of outdated, damaged, or missing signs, leading to safer roads for all users.
- Improved traffic flow: By analyzing the distribution and type of signage across the town, the project will inform strategic decisions regarding traffic control measures and infrastructure upgrades, leading to smoother traffic flow and reduced congestion.
- Cost optimization: Efficient management of traffic signage resources through accurate inventory data will optimize maintenance and replacement schedules, leading to cost savings for the town.
“Mid-West GIS is committed to providing our clients with the highest quality data and analysis solutions,” stated Shane McDermott. “We are confident that this comprehensive traffic sign inventory will empower the Town of Queensbury to make informed decisions that enhance the safety and efficiency of its transportation network for years to come.”
The Queensbury traffic sign inventory project represents a significant investment in the town’s infrastructure and demonstrates its commitment to providing a safe and efficient transportation system for its residents and visitors. With Mid-West GIS‘s expertise in geospatial data collection and analysis, the town is well-positioned to reap the long-term benefits of this data-driven initiative.